Thursday, January 10, 2013

Not able to delete SharePoint 2010 Web Analytics orphaned databases

I was working on cleaning up the sharepoint farm. I tried to delete the Web Analytics Service Application from the UI but was not able to do so. It was not allowing me to delete the service application from PowerShell either and threw the below error.

Exception calling "Delete" with "0" argument(s): "An object in the SharePoint a
dministrative framework, "WebAnalyticsWarehouseDatabase Name=WebAnalyticsServiceApplication_ReportingDB", could not be deleted because other objects depend on it. Update all of these dependants to point to null or different objects and retry this operation. The dependant objec
ts are as follows: WebAnalyticsServiceApplication Name=Web Analytics Service Application"


 I went to the Central Administration --> Upgrade & Migration --> Review Database Status. I observed that the Web Analytics databases were in "not responding" status.

After some analysis, I found that there were timer jobs that were using the databases which didn't allow to delete the service application. The Timer jobs are as follows -

Health Analysis Job (Daily, Web Analytics Data Processing Service, Any Server)
Health Analysis Job (Daily, Web Analytics Web Service, Any Server)
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage Data Processing
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Usage Data Import
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Site Inventory Usage Collection


I went ahead and disabled the jobs. Then I went ahead and deleted the service application from the UI. It got deleted successfully without any issues. I ran the powershell command to clean up any orphaned database present on the sharepoint farm by running the below script

Get-SPDatabase | Where{$_.Exists -eq $false} | ForEach {$_.Delete()}

1 comment:

  1. This worked beautifully - thanks!

    First I ran the command just to confirm that the only database that I was concerned with was actually what would be deleted:
    Get-SPDatabase | Where{$_.Exists -eq $false}

    ReplyDelete